On 22 September 2015 at 20:49, Steve Mynott <steve.myn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone any recommendations for very cheap laptops (ideally netbook
> like form factor) with good linux support?
>
> I assume netbooks themselves are pretty dead (which is a pity since
> some had decent keyboards).
>
> Has anyone found anything similar?  I suppose a chromebook running the
> libfakeroot linux might be the closest although most of them have very
> restricted SSD space.
>
> Any suggestions?

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/15348/Lenovo-IBM-X201-Intel-i5-520M-2-4GHz-12-1-Laptop-4GB-160GB-Windows-7-Pro-No-WebCam/

I use an X200, the previous model with a Core 2 Duo.

It is pretty bulletproof with Ubuntu. 13.10 ran fine but with slight
occasional screen glitches; 14.04 resolved this and I'm staying on it
until the next LTS.

Mine cost me £125, and then I sold my netbook for £100. I added a new
extended battery (£40) and increased RAM from 4GB to 8GB because I got
an offer for only £20. (The latter prices were in Czech Crowns, so are
a bit approximate.) All in, about £90. A real bargain and a lovely
little machine.

I even got the fingerprint reader working with minimal effort -- one
PPA, install, done. I rarely use it but it functions.

Lenovo machines are significantly better-built and tougher than the
competition, and I know from visiting Mark "SABDFL" Shuttleworth's old
flat in Kensington after the Ubuntu 5.04 launch party that much of
Ubuntu is developed on Thinkpads -- so driver support is good.

I run a desktop Mac (with 3rd party screens and mouse and a vintage
Apple keyboard from 1990, when Apple still made good keyboards) -- but
for notebooks I've been buying and recommending Thinkpads for years.
They've never let me down.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven