First off....I reverted my xorg.conf file back to the defaults after
posting yesterday.  That caused an inability to boot....not recoverable
in safe mode (repairing X).  So I booted with the live CD and replaced
my xorg.conf file with the backup that was made when I replaced
it....solved the problem.  While in the live session, my brightness
hotkeys were working as they had under Hardy/Intrepid.  After the live
session I booted as normal and my brightness hotkeys are working again
under Jaunty.

So at least I'm back to normal....but still not happy ;-)

I suppose I should run another live session and see if the seemingly
missing modules are there.

STEVE:
Thanks for the info on the possibility of my install being messed up.  I have
no idea how to go about proving it one way or the other.  Any ideas?

I can say that all signs point to the upgrade having been
successful...correctly reports as 9.04....notification area changes are
seen...perhaps anecdotal tidbits...but there ya go.

DAVE:
Thanks for the fnxfd info...I'll give that a whirl....much appreciated.  I
still wish this kind of messing around to get basic things working was not
necessary.....hopefully it gets there soon ;-)

I saw your comment on fresh vs upgrade installs.  I sure hope that's not
the case for me....but I fully understand that customizations can cause
problems for upgrades over time ;-)

Thanks All

--
Regression: new Toshiba Laptop Support (tlsup) driver breaks Toshiba hotkeys;
input device does not support 'kbd' input handler