I have tried running X under strace, but no success. I couldn't
reproduce the crash, probably because X became too slow. Log file when
calibre was running was 5 GB.

I also tried xtrace and valgrind without luck. xtrace only showed what
calibre was doing. Valgrind shows errors, but only before and right
after login. Also, with valgrind I couldn't reproduce the crash, as X
was very slow again.

Then I enabled additional debugging in X by defining DEBUG_COMMUNICATION (in
os/io.c). I added the requestbuffer address, request name and event name to the
debugging output.
The attached log looks interesting to me. Right before the crash we see the
same requestbuffer is used by 2 different clients:

[ 11518.727] REQUEST: ClientIDX: 6, type: 0x89 data: 0xa len: 8 buffer:
0x7f3071065010 name: DRI2
[ 11518.729] REQUEST: ClientIDX: 32, type: 0x35 data: 0x18 len: 4 buffer:
0x7f3071065010 name: CreatePixmap
[ 11518.746] REPLY: ClientIDX: 6 buffer: 0x7f3071065010 Xreply: type: 0x1 data:
0xff len: 0 seq#: 0x1802
[ 11518.747] Segmentation fault at address 0x7f3071065010

(clientidx 32 is calibre, clientidx 6 is most likely compiz)

As RecordAReply uses the requestbuffer to find the details of the DRI2
request, this looks very suspicious to me.

** Attachment added: "Xorg.0.log (8 MB)"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/774978/+attachment/2117464/+files/Xorg.log.debug3

  xserver seg'd [945GM]