For me it works ok. I have got a 5750. Are you sure you installed the
correct preperitary driver of the ATI web site? You probably have the
open source driver running. The version should be 2:8.892 as shown in
synaptics and must be enabled by xorg, means shown active in the
additional drivers dialog. I just had some trouble to install the
compiled drivers by the softwarecenter. Not it is installed and still
cannot find the control center in unity. I have to call it manually.
Dont know why. Maybe it does not work with manually installed
applications. BTW Gnome Shell is still less mature that unity. A lot of
functions is missing. To make it work one has to install a lot of stuff.
Best is the ppa by webup8.org and follow their hints. For me I rather
stay at unity.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  GNOME Shell display problems with FGLRX