I thought I found a safe shelter with Xubuntu but after almost a week of
uptime XFCE froze. So far I've tried Unity 3D, 2D and XFCE (installed
from scratch) and all of them freeze. I tried kernels 3.3.x and 3.4.x
with no obvious siccess.

Dell XPS Studio 8100, i7 860 (Lynnfield Nehalem), nVidia GeForce GT 220,
8Gb ram, fake (BIOS) RAID 1.

Based on this bug report it doesn't seem to be specific to GPU,
packaging (Unity/Gnome/KDE/XFCE/LXDE), architecture and software running
at the time of freezing. I am leaving Ubuntu for good. It's just too
unstable for me at this time and there is no light at the end of the
tunnel. It is a very hard decision and very disappointing.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.