I've been having similar problems.  I'm using an i5-3570K IB with HD
4000 on a Gygabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard.  I started with the 64 bit
install fom ubuntu.org and had very frequent freezes. I switched to the
"recommended" 32 bit  and it's decreased significantly, but I still have
freezes. If audio is playing, the last 1/8 second or so repeats  during
the freeze.

I brand-new to Linux (been a Mac user) so I'm still finding my way
around, including how to properly file bug reports.

The new kernel is an itriguing solution, and I'd obviously prefer to run
64 bit, but it apears to me that there are also issues under 32 bit.

  [IVB]12.04 64 bit System freezes (mouse, keyboard)