Are other Ubuntu flavors also being impacted? How about Kubuntu, Pinguy
and other desktops such as LXDE, XFCE. Perhaps this can help narrow the
problem down. I've experienced the hanging problem apparently randomly
and without USB devices attached. It seems to happen most when I'm using
Firefox 13.0. The mouse cursor still moves but no keyboard and cannot
click on anything. Also I've had the windows title bar disappear
repeatedly. Sometimes I can make it recover, but usually not and more
recently when I do a Unity reset (unity --reset) thes script hangs and
never finishes executing when it used to work. When I crash the script
the system locks up and I have to hard reboot to recover.

Asus U44S
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz
Intel® Sandybridge Mobile
Nvidia Optimus (with Bumblebee)
Kernal:  3.2.0-25-generic
Ubuntu 12..04 x64 - Unity 3D

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.