Playing an h264 mp4 in Movie Player was 100% successful in complete (I had to
unplug my PC to reboot!) freeze. I mean, no-one's ever going to use Ubuntu for
that, are they?!
Most of the other freezes have been mild by comparison (just need to hit the
restart).
Updated my NVidia driver, didn't fix the problem.
Updated the Kernel to 3.3.6, and, so far, no problems. I have even managed to
play the offending video!
Follow the instructions in #91, with the obvious sudo prefix where required.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.