@natew: NVIDIA does not have access to the nvnews.net forum at this
time, either. I was not directly involved in the attempts to reproduce
the issue described above, but as reported by the person who did
reproduce this issue, we did try several systems with chips that are
similar to the GeForce 285m, without success.

I see that you're the original reporter of this bug on launchpad, and
you have posted a backtrace from gdb captured during the crash. Thanks
for that, but to make the backtrace more readable, do you think you
could capture another one with debugging symbols installed for the X
server, and with the DSO load base of nvidia_drv.so within X captured?

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Nvidia driver causes xorg crash