Hello,

As far as the desktop freezing I had it as well; its not with new
hardware only as my old notebook is like 5 to 6 years old I think -
can't remember its that old. Asus ZJ96s, 2.16 Core2Duo, 2 Gigs of Ram,
and ATI Technologies Inc M56P [Radeon Mobility X1600] Graphics.

On this book the last couple LTS's has been solid except 12.04 64Bit;
frequent freezes a couple times a day mostly with graphics intensive
stuff, but always with able to access to the console, and I have to
restart everything. Mostly with flash loaded in a browser or even an
e-reader scrolling pages. Resources were not depleted by any means
though.

I tried various kernals up to 3.4, 2D, but no difference; I can only use
the open vid driver.

It left such a bad taste I went back to 10.04 and won't consider 12.04
again for this book, or any other computer till Its absolutely necessary
- hopefully they will have things straitened out or its 10.04 to the
death.

Like Ubuntu and Unity very much and would hate to abandon it.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.