Just my 2 cents
I have this problem also (kubuntu/ Q6600 /64 bits/ precise)

A sure way for me to trigger this problem is creating an large avi
(openDML file) from another large file (TS or mkv)

i.e. for example
read a 6 GB MKV file over the network and create a local or networked large
openDML file.

It happens also with TS, basically any large files (several GB). The
larger the file, the higher the probability.

It happens also when doing less io intensive stuff but much more rarely

Doing the openDML file trick is a 90% chance of deadlock

(and i have tried creating/reading from local HDD1, local SSD, NFS mount
+ memtest x86 to rule out faulty hdd/memory)

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.