Guess this is an invite to leave for Wayland or whatever. My current
screen is 96 dpi (give or take a pixel) so I could care less but the
moment I switch to a display with different resolution I will have to
put up with this Xorg's insanity as well.

If Xorg is going to be bug-compatible with Windows, and only Windows
default settings, not Windows preinstalled by system integrators on all
laptops with hi-res screens we can as well run ReactOS. The user
experience will, again, be terrible, much worse than Windows.

You should also add some (*((int (*)())0))(); to make it feel more like
badly configured Windows.

If you are really concerned that DPI alone is not doing the right thing
then you should add a mechanism to adjust it per display type, not just
flat force everything to some random bogus value.

Eg. if you had a statistical study that says that people usually sit at
a distance from LVDS which is about 2/3 the distance to TMDS then *leave
the detected DPI alone* and add a *magnification factor* of 0.66 which
modifies the reported DPI to be 0.66 of the actual DPI.  Everyone can
easily set to 1 if they want DTP-correct display and tune to a value
that suits better their use of the system. This *also* handles displays
that have non-square pixels correctly. You need a correct baseline to
magnify from to get a magnification factor, not a brain damage factor.

You can use the same magnification factor to set the resolution of
something you think is a TV to flat 96dpi and still preserve the option
to easily revert to the actual reported DPI.

  [gm45] wrong screen size detected on X200s