> Okay, I meant to post this a while ago and forgot, but the recent churn has
> reminded me to do so.  I'll start with the tl;dr:
>
> I don't think this bug matters anymore.
>
> It's been over a year since this bug was opened, and during that time I've
> come to the conclusion that one should simply *always* specify DisplaySize in
> xorg.conf.  This bug does not affect any setups that have a DisplaySize for
> each monitor: the only issue is DPI computation for monitors that have no
> DisplaySize.  Lets look at the situation beforn and after the change:
>
>   With the old behaviour, computing the resolution from the EDID works only if
>   your monitor doesn't lie about its size (which happens far more often than
>   it should).  Otherwise, you have to set DisplaySize.

Yes, only when your screen is broken.

>   With the new behaviour, things work fine as long as 96dpi is correct for
>   your monitor.  Otherwise, you have to set DisplaySize.

Which is not the case about half of the time, and is becoming
increasigly rare.

> So regardless of which way we pick, some people need to add DisplaySize
> directives to their xorg.conf.  We could probably argue all day about which
> way is "better", but I recommend a much simpler solution: grab a ruler and
> put DisplaySize directives in your xorg.conf.

I don't want to measure my screen every time I install Xorg somewhere.

> This bug was only a problem because the change broke working server
> configurations (this sort of issue seems to happen all the time with the
> X.org server).  While breaking working setups is bad, I suspect that the vast
> majority of people who ran into problems because of this bug have long since
> updated their xorg.conf.  At this point, changing it back will probably break
> just as many setups for marginal utility.

If the screen lies then you are free to take it and beat some of the
manufacturer staff with it until they fix it.

I suggest somebody with a 120+ dpi screen burns a bag of Xorg CDs an
beats some Xorg developer with it until they fix the X server since they
don't seem to respond to logical reasoning.

  [gm45] wrong screen size detected on X200s