Retitling this bug, since it affects current X servers as well, though
possibly only randr-1.2-capable drivers as mentioned in comment 63 and
the immediately preceding comments.

This needs fixing.  Each time I set up a new system, I end up with
incredibly tiny fonts, and I end up having to manaully fix (and
hardcode) the DPI to use the correctly autodetected value.  The server
already has a flag to override DPI with a constant value (namely -dpi).
It doesn't need a flag to go back to autodetection, because it needs to
do that by default.  Nothing needs the X server to hardcode 96 DPI;
browsers can already do that if they want to.  (Chrome already does so,
in a misguided attempt to force a constant ratio between "px" and "pt"
across all websites.  Firefox still seems to respect the system DPI by
default, AFAICT.)  Meanwhile, having the correct DPI makes fonts have
reasonable sizes, and makes "100% zoom" in various applications (such as
evince) match the physical dimensions of a page.

  [gm45] wrong screen size detected on X200s