Someone further up asked if anyone had a desktop affected by this
problem. Yes.

HP Pavilian a1610n
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ x2
NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver version 173
OS 32-bit
RAM 1 gb
Upgraded from 11.04 to 12.04LTS.
Only real modification done was to get rid of the crappy Unity desktop and
revert to classic per  below link, and this was done in 11.04 and remained
functional when upgraded to 12.04LTS.
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2011/09/11/install-the-classic-desktop-in-ubuntu-11-10/

11.04LTS was rock steady. Upgraded because I had hoped the problem with
auto routing to random folders instead of last folder used had been
addressed (which it hasn't).

Running Firefox version

Intermittent freezing of system when clicking on a link in Firefox.
Eventually the mouse cursor unfreezes, but nothing else works except
REISEB. No other keyboard command works. Problem happens from zero to
several times a day.

Had to report this bug on my older 11.04 machine. System keeps freezing
while trying to make report. Worse, discovered it was freezing when
clicking icons to get system information, which it has not done before.
I cannot even access the system logs without freezing, so I cannot
include the logs here.

I'm going to try the upgraded driver options for NVIDIA. Don't know what
else I can do at this point. I'm not versed well enough in upgrading the
kernel per the above instructions. Will have to research that, but
frankly I think reinstalling 11.04 makes better sense for me.

Editorial comment: So far the Unity versions have been a total wash for
me. I don't want "Ubuntu Windows 7" or "Ubuntu iPad" eye candy, I want
Ubuntu 11.04. Unless some issues in Unity are addressed and fixed, I'll
either have to revert to 11.04 or look into Lubuntu. Sorry to get on the
soapbox, but the people writing Ubuntu have forgotten why it was created
in the first place. If you're going to copy Windoze, at least give us an
easy option similar to Windoze "Switch to Classic Desktop View" and/or
make the Unity desktop user configurable. It's not a freaking iPad.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.