@ Jeremy and all others here.

It's important to split up this bug report/ file separate bugs for
certain hardware configurations and concerning (suspected) problematic
packages. This thread is too long and too fuzzy to be worked on by any
developer. What should he / she test? Where to start? Which package is
involved?

I've reported a bug report specific for my machine and related to Nvidia
graphics driver and I was being helped: I've got a much much more stable
system now with Nouveau drivers.  Also be sure to make the appropriate
dumps etc. ( http://www.cebuntu.com/how-to/how-to-report-bugs-from-
terminal-in-ubuntu/ )

Others here may have problems related to Ivy bridge and certain
kernelversion/ kernelmodules, others may suffer from a problem caused by
whatever.

You really should stop screaming here and do what's right (post separate
bugs against multiple packages).

I really don't agree that what we see here is weak troubleshooting. My
experience is that you'll get help if (and only if) you  post a specific
bug, with dumps from your sytem and against a specific package.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.