I have very similar issues to many here. It happens when using VirtualBox,
Firefox (occasionally), or most obviously, when watching a video. It happens on
VLC media player and with Ubuntu Movie player. I have done something for a
couple days to stop the freezing. It works, however the workaround is not
ideal, and not everyone here will be able to do it. It all depends on your
machine. I built my PC myself, so I have a lot more control over my computer
than those with laptops do.
This is my desktop:
-Asus-P8B75-M/CSM Motherboard
-Intel Ivy Bridge- Core i5 3570K CPU
-8GBs of Corsair XMS3 RAM @1333MHz
-500W Corsair Power Supply
-1TB Toshiba/Hitachi HDD 7200RPM
-Cooler Master Hyper-TX3 CPU HSF (Probably doesn't matter--but included for
good measure)
*I AM using Intel HD Integrated Graphics 4000
My workaround--tested heavily--is disabling C3 and C6 states in the BIOS CPU
advanced options menu. I leave C1E Halt and Intel Enhanced Speed Step
Technology enabled. This drastically increases power usage, therefore
increasing temperature, and I'm sure it's increasing voltage and current. I
have no way to monitor that within Ubuntu, all I can measure is CPU frequency
and temperature. My idle temps, which are usually 36-39 Celsius, have increased
to 41-44 Celsius, which is quite drastic if you think about it. I'm most
worried about wasted energy, which doesn't just cost me, but also costs the
environment.
If any of you have control over c-states in your BIOS, turning off anything
other than C1E should stop the complete freezes. I should note that my freezes
stay frozen until I intervene by turning the power supply off. If I'm watching
a video on local storage(or even on the internet), when it freezes, the audio
from the video stutters and repeats itself. Think of a skipping CD player (CD?
what's that?? lol), and thats how it sounds . The keyboard and mouse (both USB)
don't respond at all. There are no blinking lights on the keyboard. The image
that was on screen before it froze, stays on screen, and again-- if there was
any type of audio playing(music or video), the same sound skips over and over.
If anyone has any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.