An update:

No other crashes after rebooting.

Booting with a secondary display attached causes it to fail miserably
though. Attaching the display after the xsession is up and running works
as it should. I'll play around with the xorg,conf and see if I can sort
it out. I don't think it has anything to do with this package. (Probably
just a mistake in xorg.conf from my part)

Thanks again.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-modesetting in Ubuntu.

  xrandr Xerrors with the nvidia binary drivers (optimus)