I suspect that I'm seeing the same issue as the original poster. Running
xfce4-settings 4.11.3, without any of the published patches.

When unplugging the HDMI cable I very often get an 'xfsettingsd' crash.
This results in Xfce reverting to some fallback, default (and ugly)
theme, as well as the font size changes. When it crashes, I get this
message in the console:

liv@liv-inspiron:~$ The program 'xfsettingsd' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRRCrtc (invalid Crtc parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 1191 error_code 148 request_code 140 minor_code 21)

A quick and dirty, but useful solution is to then run 'xfsettingsd' from
a terminal. This reverts from the ugly theme to the usual desktop
appearance settings.

In any case, I've just upgraded from 4.11.2 to 4.11.3, and this bug has
suddenly become all the more visible...

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Xfce resets TV mode to NULL when power cycled