As far as fixing the issue goes, it's very simple:

- if I do `/usr/bin/xfsettingsd --replace` (4.11.3), then I can easily
replicate the crash
- if I do `/usr/local/bin/xfsettingsd --replace` (GIT master with Sean's
updated patch), the I can no longer replicate the crash

I think the patch is effective at addressing the issue.

As for the disabled `Mirror displays` option, if I remove the stock
xfce4-settings and only keep the /usr/local/bin installation, then the
issue persists: when I connect the HDMI cable, the `Mirror displays`
option is disabled (see attached screenshot). I'm not sure how else to
test this...

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Xfce resets TV mode to NULL when power cycled