First of all I do have to mention: I do not have mouse trails, but only
a dissapearing and flickering mouse cursor!

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS running in a dualboot configuration with a
(preinstalled) Windows Pro with a bunch of drivers managed by Lenovo.
The Intel P530 graphics driver in windows is updated upto 21.20.16.4550.
On the Lenovo support website there is talk about a version
21.20.16.4590, but when I click on the link they mention, it brings me
back to the 21.20.16.4550 driver instead.

See:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Update-for-Intel-graphics-driver-on-P50/td-p/3597712

And also the mentioned link to ...4590 ... which turns about to be the 4550
version:
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/nl/en/downloads/ds119528

What am I missing?

  Mouse trails and distorted cursor on 2nd monitor