Upgrading to a non-LTS version has it's downsides, and I have read
reports of people that experience the same problems after upgrading up
to 17.04.

I now installed an Intel version of the 21.20.16.4590 driver for Windows
10 from the Lenovo website, but it's actually not meant for the P50
laptop with Intel P530 graphics but for the X260 and T460 instead with
Intel P520 graphics:

   http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/nl/en/downloads/ds105823.

It installed without complaining though, but I don't know if it also
tried to replace the graphics firmware ...

... the mouse pointer is still flickering and dissapearing though.

I'll try to get Lenovo's attention on this issue.

  Mouse trails and distorted cursor on 2nd monitor