@Robert @Giacomo
Are Linux kernel 4.4.0-73 ~ 4.4.0-77 all failed to work?
Can you paste the output of `lsmod | grep i915` here?
Also, which docking station do you use? I have an USB type-C docking station
(TB15) at my hand, but I am not sure if you use this one...

@Robert
I am not sure which driver Broadwell uses, i915 or i915_bpo.
Do you use the port on the Docking station? Does this happen on laptop's port?

@Giacomo
IIUC "drm/dp/mst: fix kernel oops when turning off secondary monitor" only
silence the annoying kernel trace, it does not bring any functional change.

  External monitor connecting problem on Intel graphics card