When I upgraded to Karmic I noticed that the resolutions

and refresh rates were lower than in Jaunty.

So I wrote higher values into the Xorg.conf and rebooted.

After reboot I got the same flickering problems as the others.

I used the recovery CD to delete these values,

at one time even deleting the Xorg.conf file, and OS booted fine.

Karmic does not write to an Xorg.conf file, it creates its own values,

and I do not know were it stores this configuration, if at all.

The Xorg.log shows you how it does this.

The mechanism and video drivers work different in Karmic,

then in Jaunty.

Xorg.conf is not even needed under Karmic,

but if it is present, it will read the values, and if higher then

the Karmic prober, it will fail to boot and display properly.

So if one leaves the Xorg.conf file alone or even deletes it,

Karmic will be all-right.

My concern is, that, I want the higher resolutions &

refresh rates that Jaunty gave me.

Karmic refuses to give the video card and monitor the

maximum values that they are capable of.

I filed 3 bugs: 450055, 458624, 458625, on:

restrictive & unalterable resolutions &
low refresh rates  -

xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu) -
Undecided       Confirmed  -

under Karmic, to get the developers attention.

also bug # 428477
Display configuration: a new version of
displayconfig-gtk is necessary  -

gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)  -
Wishlist        New -

I really wished, I had a more direct line to the

developers, to encourage them to fix these

annoyances.

Perhaps, a new way of approaching bugs is

necessary, to quickly resolve problems, before

going on to the next Ubuntu version?!

BavarianPH,

Ubuntu forever!

** Attachment added: "Xorg.0.log"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/35806335/Xorg.0.log

--
upgrade breaks graphic drivers and x, preventing login or startx
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.