I have a kernel patch for people to try. It works around the x11perf
freeze, and I'm curious if it prevents random freezing as well. Kernels
with this patch, for both Karmic and Lucid, are available in a separate
PPA of mine, graphics-fixes:

https://launchpad.net/~brian-rogers/+archive/graphics-fixes

When you add this PPA and reload, a new kernel version will be
available, linux-image-2.6.31-50-generic for Karmic or linux-
image-2.6.32-50-generic for Lucid. It won't be an update to an existing
kernel, so you'll have to pick it and install it manually.

Testing will be most interesting without the packages from graphics-testing, so
run this command to remove that:
sudo ppa-purge ppa:brian-rogers/graphics-testing

Note that the patch in this new kernel is a workaround and may impair
performance in certain specific scenarios. But it will be useful in figuring
out whether the random freeze and the x11perf freeze are related.

--
[i845G] Karmic stops responding a few minutes after log in
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.