After noticing in Xorg.0.log that 2.8.0 used UXA by default while 2.7.0
was picking EXA, I added

    Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"

to the "Device" section in xorg.conf and reinstalled 2.7.0. This has
fixed the early freeze reported in comment #138. I will be working with
this box for the next couple of days, and will report back if it
freezes. The other box on the same bench (the one I'm using to ssh into
this one when necessary) will continue to run 2.8.0.

Also: after reading comment #147, I tried glxgears on both at the same
time and found that the 2.7.0 box is actually reporting a *higher* frame
rate: anywhere from 1498 to 2274 frames per 5 seconds with about 2200
being typical, compared to the very consistent 1489-1493 reported by
2.8.0 and all later versions.

--
[i845G] Karmic stops responding a few minutes after log in
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.