Hopefully this information can help a little.  I tested this on my
laptops HDMI port using an HDMI -> DVI converting cable.

If I plug the HDMI cable in before I turn the computer on, the laptop
recognizes both screens and I can manipulate them (not with the hotkey
still).  I can go into System -> Preferences -> Monitors and turn each
one off, adjust the resolution, etc.  The monitor's picture was a little
blurry, but I'm not sure that it's related to this problem.  However, if
I shut the machine down, unplug the HDMI cable, and boot up the original
problem persists.  It sees the monitor, and even if I turn it on / off,
no picture appears on the monitor's screen.

--
External display not working
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.