Hello,

I've been trying off and on for a week to first get GDAL going with MrSID support and then Mapserver. I managed to get GDAL configured with MrSID by compiling from source. I had to go down that road because I am running Precise and libgdal-mrsid is not available for Precise.

So I then installed Mapserver 6.2 from Ubuntu GIS unstable. However, when I access the mapserv cgi I get this in my log file: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mapserv: /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmapserver-6.2.1.so)

I tried just basic WMS GetCapabilities to test a map file and get no output from MapServer due to this error.

I did some research on this error and the best I could come up with is Frank W pointing out that you should either use packages or compile everything from source. http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/ticket/191

I also see references to people using a GDAL PPA but compiling the mrsid plugin for GDAL - I haven't tried that yet.

Before I go any further I'd like to get an opinion of whether there is a simple fix for the current problem, OR do I need to compile everything from source in order to get GDAL w/ MrSID, MapServer etc to work together, OR should I try compiling the plugin, OR is there an imminent package release of libgdal-mrsid for precise, OR am I missing the boat completely?

Thanks,

Brian