Quoth [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> Quite curious What is the meaning of MTD_UCLINUX and MTD_PHYSMAP?
[...]
> Does it mean the flash chips mapped into the memory? The way we
> communicate with the flash just is that access the RAM? Seems
> it is another implementation of RAMDISK?

It basically permits you to map arbitrary blocks of Flash into the address
space (not actually as RAM).  If you just want to read from it then you can
simply access those addresses as if they were ROM.  If you want to write to
it then you need to do a bit more work, since most flash requires explicit
erase cycles as they can't flip bits both ways.

> What is the MTD_UCLINUX?

That is a mapping driver which supports the "root fs appended to kernel
image" design.  If you get to your root fs some other way, then you don't
need this, but if you do, that's how Linux finds it.