Gavin Lambert wrote:
> Still, I don't think that's much more complicated, especially since it's not
> likely to come up too often (although I guess that depends on what kind of
> software it is).

It's not actually hard, but you do have to pay it some attention.

Typical app Makefiles etc. don't produce the relinkable form, so it's
a complication in the sense that people aren't used to doing it - and
I haven't yet seen anyone doing it on a uClinux system with
proprietary apps linked to uClibc, which bothers me.

If you get a request in the following 3 years, and if you didn't
archive the relinkable forms at the time you built/distributed your
app, you may not be able to reproduce the _exact_ binary in relinkable
form corresponding to that app instance, which is required.  A later
app version, or even one with bug fixes, or compiled with another
compiler, is not good enough in principle.

I just wanted to draw attention to this, since I feel there are quite
a lot of proprietary apps linked to uClibc out there whose vendors
aren't complying, perhaps due to widespread misunderstanding.

-- Jamie