On Sunday 01 February 2009 06:44:38 Jamie Lokier wrote:

> EM8623 is an ARM7 I believe, with no MMU.
>
> For SMP8634 and beyond, they switched to MIPS with MMU :-)
>
> The codesourcery toolchain uses ARM EABI, but the Sigma Designs
> libraries as OABI, so watch out.  You have to use the right
> compilers...

Presumably the the media player will need to talk to the Sigma libraries
(using JNI), so the JVM will need to be compiled with their compiler.
(actually there is an alternative -  wrap the the libraries in a C program
which receives commands from the Java part via a socket. But that's getting
complex.)

I'm pretty sure Mika can still be compiled with gcc 2.95.3, J9 might be more
problematic - but if it's physically possible the Apogee guys can do it. :-)

> [Jonathan Wong == OP]
> > I need to create a media player and include web connectivity (very thin
> > web client). Do I use CLDC or CDC? It could come down to size
> > constraints, though.
>
> Your main constraint will be memory, indeed.  Max RAM with EM8623 is
> 128MB, and some portion, about 40MB, must be kept separate for video.
>
> That does not leave much for a web browser.[...]

OP hasn't told us much about the web connectivity requirements, but if it's
just a matter of detching stuff via HTTP then that's built into the Java
libraries and he doesn't need a web browser.

Most of our customers' devices seem to have between 32 and 64 megs of RAM, so
this doesn't sound like an insuperable problem. The JVM will probably allocate
its heap in one go, and then it's up to the garbage collector to fight against
fragmentation.

chris.g...@kiffer.be                             +32 3 216 0369

Come and see us at Embedded World 2009 in Nürnberg, 3-5.3.2009:
Hall 12, Stand 560 (DSP Valley).  http://www.embedded-world.de/