Jonathan Wong wrote:
> Hi Jamie,
>
> > My solution is to use Sigma's GCC 2.95.3 when building a program that
> links
> > to their libraries, but use newer GCC for other programs (that don't use
> > Sigma's libraries at all).
>
> And then use JNI to call Sigma's libraries? That dashes my hopes to port
> whatever I do on the Sigma to Windows XP Embedded later on.

I'd use JNI to call a simple video play/stop/set-file API written in C,
or (more likely) send commands to a local socket or talk over a pipe.

On my video player, the control program just runs the media player in
a child process and talks over a pipe to it, in simple text commands.
So the control program can be in any language, in theory.

I didn't use Java because I thought it wouldn't fit, to be honest.

There's about 10MB free on my 64MB device (32 allocated to video
coprocessors, away from Linux; the rest is used by Linux, utils etc.)
I found that's actually not enough when streaming from hard disk -
because Linux's page allocator can't handle it, playback struggles.

So I thought adding Java would make it worse.

However, you have 128MB total, which is a lot more room.  And you're
just streaming video over the network, which works better.

-- Jamie