Hi Bob,

On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 17:22 -0700, Bob Furber wrote:
> I am not sure where to turn on this baffling problem.
>
> It seems that ext2fs partition layout or information on 2GB SD cards has
> changed over time.
>
> I have been using an old Fedora Linux PC (Fedora Core 2.6.15) to
> partition SD cards and load uClinux onto them and our SBCs are quite
> happy booting uClinux from these cards; even 2GB SD cards.
>
> The problem started when we started using a new Ubuntu LinuxPC (2.6.27).
> Our SBCs are quite happy booting uClinux from these cards ..EXCEPT for
> 2GB SD cards.
>
> A SD card partitioned on the old Fedora Linux PC is unreadable on the
> new UbuntuPC
> A SD card partitioned on the UbuntuPC is READABLE on the old Fedora
> Linux PC
> Our SBCs cannot find /boot/linix.bin on a 2GB SD card prepared
> (partitioned & loaded with uClinux) on the new UbuntuPC
> Our SBCs CAN find /boot/linix.bin on a 256MB SD card prepared on the new
> UbuntuPC
> Our SBCs CAN find /boot/linix.bin on a 2GB SD card prepared on the old
> Fedora Linux PC
>
> And, yes, the same scripts are used on both Linux PCs and we have taken
> into account the csd.rd_bl_len kludge used by 2GB SD cards to represent
> the greater capacity. This is why 2GB SD cards loaded on our old Fedora
> Linux PC happily boot on our PCs.
>
> The SBCs use a modified dBUG monitor to boot uClinux from an SD card.
> The modifications to dBUG were carried out in 2005 and consisted of
> adding some SD card APIs and files lifted from U-boot and massaged:
> cmd_ext2.c, ext2fs.c, dev.c, part.c & part_dos.c.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Furber

I can't really give any specific help other than what you already tried, but
I have been in a similar situation.
I got some Olin 2 GB cards a little while ago and existing firmware I had
running (using SPI)
totally refused to run properly. Like you, I allowed the "hack" on the block
length
in CSD. My good old trusty card reader doesn't like the cards either.

I spent a bit of time stepping around further in my code but I never pinned it
down
as to where these 2 GB cards went to lala land. I gave up I must say... too
irritating.
A look at the card vendor's URL revealed they expect the consumer to buy
"their" card reader
products, which of course is a joke.

The last I checked, the consensus is/was that the 2 GB cards arena is a big
mess. Apparently,
more don't work than ones that actually do....
Seemed to me might as well move to HC... ?

I certainly appreciate/sympathise - I found it very irritating to say the least
:
These cards are sold with the SD spec logo - but they don't __comply__ !!!

--
Best regards,
Kris