On Friday 28 August 2009 19:11:23 Steven King wrote:

> another choice would be a linksys wrt54gl.

That's what I was going to suggest - it's the platform we first used when
porting the Mika VM to MIPS, and it must be the cheapest development system we
bought so far. Take a look at the list of hardware at
<http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware.html> and
<https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/platforms>. (Not all the platforms listed are
MIPS but many are). For some platforms you have to be very careful which model
you buy, because apparently similar models may not have enough memory to run
(even) uClinux.

My own experience of networking is different to yours: I see a lot of MIPS and
quite a bit of SH4 and Coldfire,  ARM is really not dominant in this area.

Best regards

Chris

--
Chris Gray        /k/ Embedded Java Solutions      BE0809.435.306
chris.g...@kiffer.be                             +32 3 216 0369