Hi Steven,

On 09/02/2009 04:34 AM, Steven King wrote:
On Tuesday 01 September 2009 04:52:06 Philippe De Muyter wrote:

Longer term I think we need to fully merge m68k and m68knommu
before we push any MMU ColdFire patches to mainline.

I fully agree with that.

Who is currently working on the m68k/m68knommu merge ?
Is there a mailing-list, website or other network resource about that ?
The arch trees of m68k and m68knommu have different structures.  What will
the structure of the merged tree look like ?

I've been looking at this, and while I dont have anything ready yet, it doesnt
seem too difficult.

m68knommu/configs and platform can be merged directly into m68k; its the files
in kernel, lib and mm and especially the m68k Kconfig and Makefile that require
some effort.  The trivial approach would be to do some thing similar to what
was done for the include files: append a suffix of _no to the m68knommu version
of the file and _mm to the m68k version and then have a wrapper that uses
#ifdef __uClinux__ to select between the two.

You want to use CONFIG_MMU as the decider in most situations.
The exception is header files that will be used outside of the kernel.

But otherwise yes, we could do a dumb merge and then clean up.

Of course that doesn't gain us much, except once we then fixup Kconfig and
Makefile and have a working build, we can then incrementally merge each of the
files in kernel, lib and mm while testing with a working build.

It hasn't worked out too bad from my point of view in the header
file merge. Initially there was a lot of separate files, but wihtout
too much effort I have that done to only a dozen or so now.

Regards
Greg