On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 07:39:38PM +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> > > That kernel is really just a compilation of lots of other trees
> > > (mostly vendors trees), almost none of which are git trees.
> > > Much of the change in there is probably not mainline ready in
> > > any shape or form.
> > >
> > > In terms of m68knommu support it generally tracks behind my
> > > git kernel.org git tree.
> >
> > Seems to me m68knommu in current Linus releases of 2.6 is actually
> > quite good.  Certainly works for me on mcf527[01].
>
> Thanks everyone.  These answers are really helpful, because it's not
> always easy to see if a large set of changes are critical ones that
> are slow to be mainlined, or vendor branches that don't matter except
> for those vendors.
>
> I'm still recovering from the 2.4.x era, where -ucN patches were
> needed to get anything useful done, and not mainlined.
>
> I fetched the m68knommu git and compared it with mainline, and all the
> architecture changes are mainlined already.  Glad to see that, and
> it's not surprising it works well. :-)
>
> I've found a few minor buglets in the latest uClinux-dist kernel, and
> patch the simple ones as I go.  I use git myself to keep track of
> local patches to the distributed trees.  What's the best way to feed
> back those patches into uClinux-dist?

Probably more important to get them to Greg for his tree which should
then get it to Linus's tree.  Eventually uclinux will get it (at least
it should).

The less patches are lying around the better, so getting it upstream as
far as possible is always best for long term survival of a piece of code.

--
Len Sorensen