Hi Luis,

On 04/28/2012 12:30 AM, Luis Alves wrote:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Greg Ungerer<g...@snapgear.com>  wrote:
On 04/27/2012 09:08 AM, Luis Alves wrote:
This is the first of a pack of patches to support the original 68000 cpu.
This adds:
á-MC68000 cpu as a choice in the config menu.
á-Alcetronics M68K board (uses this cpu).

What I have changed:
á-CONFIG_M68000 was being used by 68328 CPUs.
á Renamed to CONFIG_M68XXX. Now the 68000 and all CPU32 CPUs use this flag
for common configurations.
á-Modified all 68[VZ|EZ]328 to select CONFIG_MCPU32
á-Modified CONFIG_MCPU32 to select CONFIG_M68XXX.
á-Modified CONFIG_M68360 to select CONFIG_M68XXX (I think it was missing
some settings).
á-Modified some files to use CONFIG_M68XXX instead of
CONFIG_M68000/CONFIG_MCPU32

Thinking on this a little more, you probably don't want most of
these changes. Certainly as Brad points out CPU32 and 68000 are
quite different, and they need to remain as separate config options.

I can see you will end up with a arch/m68k/platform/68000 with
some new code. Is any of that common with what is currently in
arch/m68k/platform/68328? áI would expect we want to move the
common 68000 code into that platform/68000 directory. Longer
term we may want to do away with 68328/68EZ328/68VZ328 directories
all together. All the code may go in a platform/68000. (Still
thinking this one over though, but I am planning on doing away
with the separate 5xxx ColdFire directories real soon now).

I think this is a good idea. Do you suggest putting all together in the
same file and use #ifdef's for cpu specific options? I could do that.

That may or may not make sense, we need to think about each case.
Hopefully we can keep common code together with minimal additional
#ifdefs. And put board (or on/off chip peripherals) in there own
files.

Also, how to deal with board specific configuration files?
As I referred in the previous mail, the 68000 has zero on-chip peripherals
so the initial setup and configuration is a lot 'board-dependent'.

Yep. The best case is if you have specific configuration files
separate, and built based on their appropriate defines in the Makefile.
(See examples in arch/m68k/platform/coldfire/Makefile).

To start I would just put them all in the common 68000 sub-directory.
If the need arises we can start putting machine specific sub-directories
later (which is what we have at the top arch level, arch/m68k/). For
quite a few years we had machine specific directories under
platform/coldfire. But I gave up on it eventually - there was just so
much duplicated code it didn't seem to make any sense.

Regards
Greg