I have found that ParseDocText() seems to throw random trash, and
spurious <b></b> tags into the results.
I put error_log() tags into search.php3, and parse.inc to generate the
trace.

Here is the result of my trace:

[Fri Jun  9 07:40:09 2000] [error] ============================
[Fri Jun  9 07:40:09 2000] [error] search: pre:                  HIPAA
HIPAA provides information
regarding the Health Insurance Portability and Accountablity Act.
Included in this section are RIMS'
solutions to HIPAA issues, FAQs, and transaction set  information.
Additionally, links to other HIPAA ---

        (so far, so good)

[Fri Jun  9 07:40:09 2000] [error] parse:pre1:                  HIPAA
HIPAA provides information
regarding the Health Insurance Portability and Accountablity Act.
Included in this section are RIMS'
solutions to HIPAA issues, FAQs, and transaction set  information.
Additionally, links to other HIPAA --
hipaa -- 0

        (again, so far, so good)

[Fri Jun  9 07:40:09 2000] [error] parse:pre2:
information regarding the Health Insurance Portability and Accountablity
Act. Included in this section are
RIMS' solutions toa<b>ction</b> issues, FAQs, and transaction set
information. Additionally, links to
other <b>regar</b> -- hipaa -- $

        (it is now trash, as the result of the first preg_replace() in
ParseDocText())

[Fri Jun  9 07:40:09 2000] [error] parse:post:
information regarding the Health Insurance Portability and Accountablity
Act. Included in this section are
RIMS' solutions toa<b>ction</b> issues, FAQs, and transaction set
information. Additionally, links to
other <b>regar</b> -- hipaa -- 0
[Fri Jun  9 07:40:09 2000] [error] search: post:
information regarding the Health Insurance Portability and Accountablity
Act. Included in this section are
RIMS' solutions toa<b>ction</b> issues, FAQs, and transaction set
information. Additionally, links to
other <b>regar</b> ---
[Fri Jun  9 07:40:09 2000] [error] ============================

I have checked the database, and the actual source file, and the garbage
is nowhere to be found. This is not happening on every search, but it is
consistent with this one search.

I am using php4.0b3, and udmsearch 3.0.14a. I have checked, and there is
no difference in ParseDocText() to udmsearch 3.0.17, or in search.php3
to search.php.

Let me know if there is any additional information you need.

Thanks

-Mark
--
"The public have an insatiable curiousity to know everything,
               except what is worth knowing." -- Oscar Wilde, 1891