Anil Gulecha wrote:

> On 6/27/06, *Pavan T C* <Pavan.Chandrashekar at sun.com
> <mailto:Pavan.Chandrashekar at sun.com>> wrote:
>
>     Moinak Ghosh wrote:
>     > Venky wrote:
>     >
>     >>> [...]
>     >>>
>     >>>  * Now follow the instructions at (pppoe is already present on
>     BeleniX
>     >>>     so you can ignore the "*INSTALLING PPPD 4.0" section.*
>     >>>
>     >>>    http://www.phildev.net/solaris/spppoe.html
>     >>>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> Do we need PPPoE?  Shouldn't it be a regular DHCP or static IP
>     >> address as far as the computer is concerned?
>     >>
>     >>
>     >    If you are using ADSL modem for Dataone, you'd need pppoe. If
>     you are
>     >    using a router, then the router will do all the handshaking
>     and simple
>     >    DHCP from the computer works.
>
>     Not really. The ADSL modem (atleast the one that BSNL provides)
>     has the
>     pppoe dialler built into it. You would need nothing more than an IP to
>     your machine. Once you configure the modem with the ppp username and
>     password, it can take care of doing the ppp part of the
>     transaction and
>     will give your system an ethernet frame.
>

> Yes thats right. The way i've configured now elsewhere is just by
> entering the following data under the network settings:
> a) IP address
> b) Subnet mask
> c) Default gateway
> d) DNS servers
>
> GNOME has a straight forward tool to enter this info. I looked under
> KDE but the utility says it does not support the platform (and lists
> the supported platforms, asking me to select the one i think closely
> matches the current platofrm. I tried with various BSDs and linuxes
> with no luck). this utility is under settings>network>network
> connection (or such)

   BeleniX includes a simple network profile utility called netprof.
   You need to setup your profile in the directory /etc/netprof/. You
   can use one of the provided files as your template. The format is
   very easy.

   After creating a profile just execute /usr/bin/netprof which will
   pop-up a small menu.

   For more detailed info about basic network config in BeleniX
   see the BeleniX FAQ:

   http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Belenix_FAQ

Regards,
Moinak.