On 6/27/06, Moinak Ghosh <Moinak.Ghosh at sun.com> wrote:

>    * We are looking at starting off a project to have a Configuration and
>       Administration GUI for BeleniX and by implication OpenSolaris. It
>       will be using GTK and done using C for performance and smaller
>       resource requirements. Portability is out of the question here.

IMHO, doing a C-gtk thingy doesn't give enough of an edge to not use a
scripting language with gtk-binding. perl, ruby, python - all of these qualify.
Most of the overhead is in getting the interpreter loaded. Drawing and
event handling time is comparable.

I did a comparison between "hello world" thingy in c-gtk and python-gtk
excluding the load/init time. The c thing took 0.27 seconds while the python
thing took 0.24 seconds (sparc s10+). perl/ruby maybe faster.

For something that spends its life waiting for the user to poke or click or
drag, performance is not of the essense.  For the developer however
turn-around time will matter. RAD is the keyword.

cheers
Binu

ps: The programs are attached.