LRA Rebels Attack Kitgum RDC's Home

New Vision (Kampala)

August 28, 2003
Posted to the web August 28, 2003

Stephen Akena
Kampala

THE Lords' Resistance Army (LRA) rebels on Tuesday attacked the residence of Kitgum Residence District Commissioner, Lt. Santo Okot Lapolo, but were repulsed by his guards and a UPDF reinforcement unit.

The rebels reportedly abducted people from the vicinity of the flats and ordered them to direct them to the RDCs' residence.

"The rebels attacked my home at about 1:00am in the morning. I was in Kampala but my wife and security operatives in Kitgum rang to inform me," Lapolo said.

Addressing journalists at Hotel Pearl Afrique in Gulu, Lapolo said soldiers guarding his residence confronted the rebels but because the rebels were many, they had to call for reinforcement.

According to Nyeko, a rebel captive, the rebels were sent by Vincent Otti, Konys' second-in-command.

A team led by the RDC on August 19 arrested three women alleged to be concubines of Vincent Otti.