Putin says to retain influence after 2008 exit

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:13 PM BST147
Email This Article | Print This Article | RSS
[-] Text [+]
By Richard Balmforth
MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin told Russians on Wednesday he would retain influence after he steps down in 2008, his strongest signal yet that he plans to take on another high-profile role in politics.
Putin, in a live TV phone-in, stuck by his commitment not to tinker with the constitution and stay on for a third successive term from 2008 "even though I like the work".
But he went on: "Even after I no longer have presidential powers I think that ... I will be able to preserve the most important thing that is dear to any politician: your trust.
"Using this, we can together influence life in our country and guarantee that it develops in a continuous manner," the 54-year-old Putin said.
Putin, a former spy now hugely popular in Russia, though accused by liberals of undermining democratic values, has said he reserves the right to name the person he wants to succeed him -- making that person's election a virtual certainty in 2008.
In later comments to journalists on Wednesday, reported by Interfax news agency, he refused to go any further. "When the time comes, I will talk about this," he said.
First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov are possible successors, although many commentators say a surprise candidate could still emerge some time next year.
Soberly dressed and emphatic in his replies, Putin exuded a "man-of-the-people" image in a show extending well over two hours, fielding questions on economic prospects, social welfare, pensions, transport infrastructure and the environment.   Continued...

                 Sharangabo Rufagari