Marshall Schor wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> Adam Lally wrote:

>>> I only know the specifics for corporations that I happen to work for.
>>> :)  Without knowing for sure that it *isn't* a problem for others, I
>>> think it's a risky move to eliminate our binary-only release.
>>>
>>> Addressing the convenience issue of dealing with our source release,
>>> could we whip up a script that would add the right source files to the
>>> right jar files?  It wouldn't even need to compile anything so
>>> shouldn't have a dependency on anything but the "jar" command line
>>> tool.
>>>

>> Sure, that would be fine.  It's an additional thing to maintain (as
>> opposed to the 0-maintenance maven magic ;-), but maybe that's not such
>> a big deal.
>>

> I also like this idea.  Ideally, it would work so the user would have
> minimum impact.
> The minimum I could think of would be for the user to download one
> additional
> thing and run one command.  It would be good if the user didn't have to
> remember to specify some long path...
>
> Maybe we can figure out how to have Eclipse help us here.  I wonder if
> this could be packaged as a feature using the update site mechanism.  It
> seems to me
> that many Eclipse technologies come packaged with the source as separately
> downloadable things.  Of course, the downside would be that this
> wouldn't support the
> non-Eclipse, alternate IDE user.
>
> So - maybe a first step would be to have all the source in one zip,
> available for download, together with a small readme that gives step by
> step instructions on how to
> a) create an Eclipse "library"
> b) attach the source
>
> (Step (a) makes it so you don't have to re-do this for every project.)
>
> -Marshall

I don't want to put words into Adam's mouth, but at least I was thinking
that the script would just be part of our regular source distribution,
so no separate download required.  And if the script lives in the source
distribution, it knows where the the source code is, so no path required.
So the user calls the script, optionally copies the generated zip file
to the UIMA binary distribution, and proceeds as I already documented.
An Eclipse library is also not necessary.  If you add the UIMA jars via
the UIMA_HOME eclipse variable, you only need to associate the source
once for each jar.  If you add the UIMA jars again in a new project,
they will already have the source code associated.

--Thilo