I think this would be a good addition. I don't see a need for an explicit
call to invoke GC. The parameter of a threshold relative to CAS heapsize
would be useful. But also the ability to specify a GC on exiting one
analysis engine and before invoking the next. This could be turned off for
applications where folks don't want the overhead caused in complex
aggregates. Ideally, a combination of the threshold and the AE boundary
auto collect would also be possible by a specific values of the engine
boundary parameter. The idea here would be to only do the collect on the
boundary based on the heap/threshold ratio having been exceeded. This would
give more than enough control and addresses the need.

I don't know if it would have to be limited to a capability flow scenario
but it would be nice to also have the option to use the output capabilities
to define what to keep or was this what you were thinking?.

The notion of type driven collection is something I'd like to raise also,
often in analysis there are types which are purely supporting the
identification of some primary type. The ability to declare some types as
transient would perhaps aid the overall objective and mitigate in the
aggressive GC cases. On the aggressive GC point, I believe anything which
invalidates lowlevel handles is not really acceptable.

-DJ
-------------------
D.J McCloskey
IBM LanguageWare

IBM Ireland Product Distribution Limited registered in Ireland with number
92815.  Registered office: Oldbrook House, 24-32 Pembroke Road,
Ballsbridge, Dublin 4

  From:       Marshall Schor <m...@schor.com>

  To:         uima-dev@incubator.apache.org

  Date:       12/03/2009 18:06

  Subject:    Re: small memory footprint tradeoff configuration

I agree with both of these concepts:  only GC'ing things which are not
in the index and also not reachable from something that is in the index,
and making GC'ing (mostly) automatic, based on thresholds, etc, when a
component exits back to the framework.  This would be fine for now - if
use cases come up where some more programmatic control of this is
needed, we could add something.

Maybe the next thing to focus on is the "contract" re: GC running.  For
a component (primitive or aggregate), the proposed contract is to have
the GC not change the FS "id"s that existed prior to the component
running.  This is a tradeoff - for more stability with existing handle
uses, versus less "aggressive" GC's.

-Marshall