On 2012/01/13 23:49, Paul M wrote:
> I have an interesting idea. A lot of these consumer grade CPEs haven't
> sufficient ROM/RAM to do dual stack. So, throw out the IPv4 stack
> altogether. Get rid of the nat, port mapping, all the crappy broken
> SIP ALGs etc, everything required to make room.
>
> Leave only IPv6, with stateful firewall.
>
> Then, have the ISP do some magic* to make IPv4 visible.
> * I'll leave it as an exercise to those more sober and less tired to
> solve that problem. But I guess it'd mean some clever DNS
> capture/re-map for all locations which don't have AAAA addresses,
> remap them to a local 6 to 4 "proxy".

By itself it's not enough, there are plenty of things people might want
to run that don't use DNS. So if you're going to need v4 stacks and at least
some v4 nat anyway to give expected levels of service, I think there's little
point in adding comparatively untested nat64 gateways and synthesizing^Wforging
DNS responses..