On 02/05/2012 07:53, Ed Butler wrote:

On 2 May 2012 07:43, Steve Dyer <st...@enovi.com <mailto:st...@enovi.com>> wrote:

    If I play some copyright music to you over your telephone line and
    you listen I should be sued by the copyright holder and so should
    you. If the reaction was instead to force BT to stop the ability
    of all  phone lines to transmit music there would be an uproar.

Your analogy doesn't really make sense to me.

A better one would be there's a number you can call up in another country to listen to music, and 99% of the music it plays is breaking copyright. Court orders BT to block access to that number.

That's my understanding of things - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Analogies are rarely perfect:-) The point I was trying to make is that it's not just *one* provider blocking *one* phone line. It's potentially every single ISP having to look at everybody's attempted communications addresses and all applying blocks on all illegal sites.

The worry is that mission creep is already eliding "illegal" with immoral, unsuitable, blasphemous, politically extreme, racist and so on. It also causes problems where something is illegal in one jurisdiction but not in another.

Steve