On 2 May 2012, at 07:53, Ed Butler wrote:

> On 2 May 2012 07:43, Steve Dyer <st...@enovi.com<mailto:st...@enovi.com>>
> wrote:
>
> If I play some copyright music to you over your telephone line and you listen
> I should be sued by the copyright holder and so should you. If the reaction
> was instead to force BT to stop the ability of all  phone lines to transmit
> music there would be an uproar.
>

> Your analogy doesn't really make sense to me.
>
> A better one would be there's a number you can call up in another country to
> listen to music, and 99% of the music it plays is breaking copyright. Court
> orders BT to block access to that number.
>
> That's my understanding of things - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Analogies, similes and metaphors aren't always the best way to prove a point,
because you can always find one which fits your point of view.  Personally (and
this is my personal opinion) I look at decision on its own merits and I'm not
in favour:

* Whilst  blocking TPB does prevent users from access the torrent tracker files
it doesn't prevent the act of using bit torrent.
* Will this action stop widespread copyright infringement of movies and music?
No.
* Will this action even be successful in preventing access to TPB? Probably
not.
* TPB is just one site, there are hundreds if not thousands of other sites
infringing copyright, why single out TPB.  You can get exactly the same torrent
files from extratorrent.
* the BPI et al are being given preferential treatment.  If someone feels their
copyright is being infringed they should take the alleged infringer to court.
* TPB aren't infringing on copyright, merely facilitating others to do so, but
where do you draw the line.  Is the ISP complicit, the company who made TPBs
server hardware, the transit network, the electricity supplier?
* My biggest worry is this is a slippery slope, once you set off down the hill
of censoring where do you stop.
* There are other more effective measures to stop copyright infringement.  Such
as investing in ways to provide high quality digital media which is reasonably
priced.  You will always have priacy, what you need to do is provide as many
means as possibly for people to purchase the media legally.
  Making it as easy, and cheap, as possible to buy media is the best way to
target lost revenue from copyright infringement.  How many people are currently
frustrated by the provision of high quality digital media?  I know I am.

Scott Armitage

p.s. "Would everyone stop top posting, it's making this thread a nightmare to
read" ;-)