Many thanks for everyone's input so far there are some interesting
approaches.

My current supervisors hold up to 1 million routes and each have 1GB DRAM
each for the route and switch processors.

Andy, so are you saying that it's the DRAM I need to be concerned with
only, as the FIB will only store one routing table at a time?

PS, I did see methods filtering prefixes longer than 'n' hops - could
anybody provide a better 'n' value? :)

The majority of my traffic around Europe and Americas is what I need
control over to influence outbound and inbound routing - anything further
such Asia and Africa - a default prefix should suffice - do you think this
could adequately trim my prefix count if I filter AS's from these countries
/ certain AS-path length cut off?

Again many thanks so far for your help chaps!

Regards,
Alistair