Curtis Anderson a écrit:
----- Original Message -----

Michael Kahle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Today I was testing out the XP install on VMWare when I was greeted
with an error during the unattended install of Windows XP.  It read,
"Error: The Product ID you entered is not valid."!  *groan* So my
question is this, am I to assume that IBM has different oem
"versions" (for lack of a better word) of Windows XP for the
different machines that they use?

There are rumors that some OEM versions of XP are "BIOS locked" to a particular vendor's hardware. I have been skeptical of these rumors, but perhaps that is the problem.

That is absolutely correct.  Just try installing XP from an Acer (Or other
major brand) onto an IBM (Or other major brand) using the ProdID from the
second machine.  If you EVER get it to work let me know because I have run
into this numerous times.  IBM XP can only use IBM ProdIDs, Acer XP can only
use Acer ProdIDs, etc. etc. at least in my experience (>1000 desktops...)

I discovered the same comportment of XP installation with DELL computers and their windows XP OEM installation cdrom.

The workaround I use was to buy 5 XP pro licenses covered by an Entreprise Volume Licence key (LVK is availble from from 5 licenses/products) and use the XP installation files provided on this media (not the same files than retail or OEM ones) to install computers here.

The VLK key also does not require you to activate XP.

So each of my machines has an OEM XP licence, but is installed with an VLK productID. It violates a bit the unreadable XP license agreement, but each machine has at least an XP licence, so what ?

Regards,

Pierre Bourgin

PS: the same license scheme is possible for Office products, with the same benefits.