"Curtis Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That is absolutely correct.  Just try installing XP from an Acer (Or
> other major brand) onto an IBM (Or other major brand) using the
> ProdID from the second machine.

That is not what I meant by "BIOS locked"...  That is just different
XP media using different license keys.  (So Acer keys work with Acer
XP media, IBM keys work with IBM media, and so on.)  This has nothing
to do with the BIOS of the machine; it just means there are different
"strains" of OEM media from different vendors.

The question is, if you use the Acer media *and Acer product key*,
will it install on an IBM?  Or will it fail because it somehow notices
the IBM hardware and chokes?

Of course, you can only ever activate it on one machine, so the
difference is moot.  But calling something "BIOS locked" when it has
absolutely nothing to do with the BIOS (or any other hardware
property) seems like a misnomer...

I believe you will find that the different strains of OEM media have
different "Pid" values in i386\setupp.ini.  Unattended has a table of
these values, and that is how it identifies the media for display.
The table is incomplete; we only know about Dell media at the moment.
Contributions are welcome.

 - Pat